lichess.org
Donate

Increment in every Lichess tournament

@lovlas no it doesn't - it still quite the thrill when you are playing on increment only (i mean just on increment and around 0 time left otherwise). Only difference is that it is still chess and not some telepathy competition on pre-moves skills
My vote goes to increment. It is better to play quality chess where time trouble demands not only flagging skills.
Ha, it seems almost everyone falls in one of two camps:

1. Always play with a large increment
2. Never play with an increment

and there is near-universal opposition to a +1 increment. The only compromise I see is adding 5+5 and not removing any popular tournaments.
Oh well, if you consider +2 a large increment, then yes.
For me it is the fastest possible inc where I am still able to react to opponent moves over a longer series of moves, without being correct in anticipating the opponents move.
With +1 it all to often results in "just moving". I guess I could arrange with 1+1 over time and some training, but I do enjoy +2 way more.

Time-controls like 5+1 or 5+5 are of no interest to me (I think 3+2 is a nice blitz).
That of course does not mean they should not be there.
Both time controls and variants in the official tournament schedule should reflect the preferences of lichess players at large as evidenced by their choices made in cases where they have a free choice ( custom seeks and custom tournaments ).

Since the official tournament schedule is far removed from such preferences, we talk about variant and time control chauvinism ( typical examples of this being the over promotion of Crazyhouse as a variant, and the lack of increment and ultra bullet in terms of time controls ).

May God bless you all.
Long-term I personally wouldn't object to replacing 5+0 with 5+2, but I think if done in a single step that would shock many players who enjoy the "pinball" of winning on time -- a "just moving" chaos which you say a +1 increment also provides.

Sure, time controls & variants should reflect preferences of lichess players. (Currently the lobby doesn't have buttons for every time control, so if users express preferences in the forum and a gradual change which doesn't hurt anyone can be experimented with, that can be an additional means of obtaining feedback.)

You seem to hate crazyhouse despite its strong popularity.

If we run more ultrabullet tournaments players are going to get carpal tunnel injuries!
@Toadofsky

for fucks sake, nobody wants 5+1 and 5+2
3+2 pretty much corresponds (given some average number of moves per game i guess) to the shitty 5+0 we have now as official blitz time control.
#14 I'm not like that. I like both with and without inc and think there could be tourns of both kind.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.