lichess.org
Donate

A special chess puzzle

Yeah I understand. It's better to NOT install Java, than to install it and end up at a bunch of sites where a bunch of automated ActiveX controls start executing themselves (heh, though a good deal
of people don't go to those places).

I would ask if you already have it installed to Internet Explorer via Control Panel blah etc., but it's not a big deal.
I've certainly not installed it (and can't see it from Control Panel). Remember - I like to keep things simple: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I only change my computer/programs when they no longer
do what I want them to.
I just meant it might already have been a part of IE, which is built in as a part of your OS, but I doubt that's the case.

Anyway, this is the position:
- r - - - - - -
- - - - - p - p
p - - r - - - -
- - - - Q - - -
- - - - - K - -
n p - p - b - p
- - p - - - p k
- - n - b - - q

Capital letters are White men; lowercase letters are Black men.

White to move and eventually mate :D
Meph, I've been at that puzzle for like a day. The best I can get is:

1. kxf3...bg3
2. qxd3...kg1
3. qe1...
Then the only move really is just moving the king back and forth.
Then I'll give you a hint.

Your moves 1.Kxf3 Bg3 2.Qxg3+ Kg1 3.Qe1+ are correct.
Your next move is 4.Qe5+, and you will win the d6 rook.

Try winning the other rook, too, then Black's other pieces.
Once I win the rook, my queen is basically useless other than taking the other rook. Then the pawn is promoted to a queen. Fuck this is hard.
Yes, take both rooks, then take both knights. Your queen is free to capture all of Black's men, as long as you maintain your queen moves so that they all also check on the a7:g1 and b8:h2 diagonals
to prevent Black from recovering even the least bit of momentum, which is enough to bring out its queen and promote any of the pawns remaining.

Once you've captured all of Black's pieces, the pawns remain. You will not be able to capture them directly with your queen, but you will be able to suppress Black's movements by continually
controlling the key diagonals and squares with "waiting moves", which force Black's pawns to advance to squares where your queen can safely go to capture without letting Black's queen escape.

Yes, it's very difficult to master. I guess. Well, I can only imagine what it's like to be the guy who frekkin' composed this problem to begin with.
Ahh...I get it. I just got all the minor pieces except for queen and pawns. I understand better now.
Yeah, it will take a while to get the pawns captured, but with enough waiting moves (they don't all have to put Black in check; they can be simple controlling moves that prevent Black from getting
back into swing) you will gorge them onto squares where you can take them.

Not all of the pawns will be capturable; 2 or 3 I think will remain.

At this point Black will run out of delay moves (because none of the remaining pawns can move anymore), and will be forced to make a move that exposes the King to checkmate in like, 2, 3, or 4 moves.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.